Thursday, March 8, 2012

Forcing Blooms & Spring Decor

In the doldrums of winter (although a mild one for Maryland), I decided to bring some Springtime inside a little early by forcing blooms.  I've never attempted this before, but I love learning new things, and this was easy.  I don't like the term "forcing" though--I much prefer coaxing;-)  Hopefully soon I will be rewarded with a vase full of beautiful blooms to cheer up the place.  

I decided to coax Forsythia.  Here's how:

1.  Cut branches from the Forsythia using small pruners & cutting at an angle. 

2.  Placed riverstones in the base of a vase (actually I used an Anchor Hocking gallon canister that I now use as a vase since I broke the lid). 

3.  Add very warm water & flower food & then the branches.  I put the vase out of direct sunlight.  That's it.



After just 48 hrs there were buds!

In 4 days there were bright green leaves emerging:

After 6 days the blooms started bursting open:


I also decided to dress up other plants I have in the house.  Here is a pot of miniature Narcissus that Mom gave me last year.  I couldn't plant them because we hadn't yet moved, so I kept them inside.  They sprouted before Christmas and now they are lush and green. 

 I bought this $2 pierced metal planter at Ikea, and it is perfect to show off the Spring green.


I added a bow to spruce it up a little more.  I've actually had this ribbon since 4th grade.  I used to use this ribbon to make those streamer/string barrettes everyone wore.

And my violets are blooming like crazy.  I had to prune them a bit and get them some violet food. 



 Finally, for Easter I wanted to do a small project since I can't go all out and decorate this year (no time!).  So I made this centerpiece with speckled eggs.  It's simple and I like how it turned out.

  

No comments:

Post a Comment